Replacement Number Plates

Need some replacement number plates?

Your car number plates are important, and by law need to be in good condition and clear enough to read easily. So, if either of them are cracked, broken, faded or have marks obscuring the letters and numbers, then they’ll need to be replaced.

Luckily, Halfords is here to help – we can create new or replacement registration plates for your vehicle while you wait. We can also make an extra set of car number plates if you’re towing, or using a rear-mounted bike rack, so you’ll know that you’re ready to set off.

We can supply standard oblong plates, complete with GB graphics and borders, or a green stripe for electric vehicles.

All our new and replacement number plates are completely road legal. Standard number plate prices start from just £7.50 + VAT each, so there’s nowhere better for affordable number plates.

What documents do I need for replacement number plates?

To get your number plates made, you’ll need to email or bring the right documents with you to our trade counter. The law states that you must provide current proof of identity and proof of entitlement in order to get replacement number plates.

If you reserve your plates online, they can’t be made until we have verified your documents at our trade counter or via email evidence.

At least one original document from each of the lists below is required for us to supply you with a legal number plate – i.e. you need to bring one document listed under ‘proof of identity’, and one from the list ‘proof of entitlement’, required by the DVLA to prove that you are allowed to display the plate. Together, the two documents must let us check your name, address and vehicle entitlement. We only accept the following documents:

1. Proof of Identity:

  • Driving licence
  • Bank/Building Society statement issued within the last six months
  • Current utility, telephone or Council Tax bill issued within the last six months
  • Passport
  • National ID card issued by the Government of a state of territory other than the UK
  • Debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society
  • Police warrant card
  • Armed forces identity card

Remember – whichever proof of identity document you bring needs to show your name and address.

2. Proof of Entitlement:

  • A Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) (Please be aware only the new red V5C Certificates are accepted, and not the old blue V5 Certificates)
  • The tear-off slip (V5C/2) from (V5C section 10)
  • A Certificate of entitlement to a mark (V750)
  • A Cherished Transfer Retention Certificate (V778)
  • A Vehicle Licence Renewal (V11)
  • A Temporary Registration Certificate (V379)
  • An Authorisation Certificate (V948) from DVLA Local Office with official DVLA stamp, or a downloaded hard copy of the eV948 (Unfortunately we cannot accept forms shown to us on phones.)
  • A letter of authorisation from Fleet Operators (including a lease/hire company). The letter must quote the document reference number from the V5C

Please note: These are legal guidelines imposed by the DVLA, and we can’t provide you with new or replacement registration plates without the correct documents!